And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of His glory.
Ephesians 1:13-14

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Keeping My Focus on What Counts

I wanted to thank you all for the positive encouragement you have offered in response to my efforts.  Tonight as I reflect on all the things I have learned and heard this last week, I want to take a deep breath and remember one very important thing.  Why are we asking these questions?  Why are we urging our SBOE representatives and State Legislatives to look into these math TEKS?  I don't ever want to forget the answer to that question.

For me, the answer is a nine year old little girl who loves to dance, hates being called small, and despite her size, can run the mile like a lightening bolt and a two year old little boy whose broad vocabulary, independent spirit, and witty ability to open and empty things keeps me both laughing and turning grey!

While I want to equip myself with the knowledge and understanding needed to have effective conversations with my representatives, I don't want to get caught up in a broken system.  Yes, there are a lot of things wrong with the public school system.  And yes, those problems will not be fixed anytime soon, and they definitely won't be fixed by an insignificant person like me.  But maybe I can make a little difference in one thing.

Maybe I can ask enough questions and demand enough answers to get our leaders to realize that they need to reconsider testing our children on new Math TEKS that they have not reasonably prepared them for.

Or maybe in several years, when the time is right, I will share this experience with that nine year old, who by then will be much older.  And she will know what I meant when I said, "I will always be here for you."  Maybe she will even look to my example and stand up for something she believes in.  If this year she fails every math class, but someday she learns that lesson then I would say it was a victory.

So tonight here are some things I hope you remember…

Stand up for your kids today and you might make a difference in their tomorrow.  But don't talk about your concerns in front of your children.  They already think math is hard; they don't need to know you think it's too hard for them too.  Instead encourage them and help them, especially with their math homework :)  And encourage their teachers.  Be willing to be a team with their teachers and rally your support around your child.

If you do that, you might make a difference in their math grades this year, or better yet you might make a difference that will last a lifetime.

No comments: