And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of His glory.
Ephesians 1:13-14

Monday, October 27, 2014

Homework Help

This question was on my daughter's math paper today

The elevator in Mr. Schilling's office has a Maximum Capacity of 700 pounds.  Mr. Schilling weighs 205 pounds, his boss weighs 225 pounds, and the custodian weighs 145 pounds.  The custodian wants to move a filing cabinet with a weight of 185 pounds.  Mr. Schilling rounds each weight to the nearest 100 pounds to estimate the total.  Is it safe for the three people and the filing cabinet to ride in the elevator together?

A. Yes, because the total rounded weight is exactly 700 pounds.
B. No, because the total rounded weight is greater than 700 pounds.
C. No, because some weights were rounded down, so the estimate is lower than the actual weight.
D. Yes, because some weights were rounded up, so the estimate is higher than the actual weight.

I sent the question to Mr. Bradley because I want our leaders to get a real example of what our children are facing.  I don't know the answer.  I wonder if he does?

*I should add my husband who is a Mechanical Engineer and my dad who is a Safety Expert said no answer is right because you should never round with safety issues!  It's a ridiculous question that would never be allowed in the real world!

No comments: