And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of His glory.
Ephesians 1:13-14

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Born to Shop

Mackenzie and I hit a new landmark in our mother-daughter relationship on Friday - we had a big girl shopping day! It was so much fun and was very special because I have such fond memories of shopping days with my mom when I was a little girl. (Actually we still shop together and have a lot of fun ;)

We planned Friday to pick out a Christmas dress for Mackenzie. In year's past, I have picked one out and brought it home for her to wear or my mom or Auntie has seen one while shopping and bought it for her. But this year was different - this year was big girl shopping.

Of course, our trip started with lunch as all good shopping days should. She chose to eat at Jason's Deli so we did that and then once our bellies were full, we headed to Kohl's. We looked through the racks, and I held the ones she liked in her size for her to try on. She is very girly and frilly so for the most part she was picking things I liked too.

After we had about ten dresses to try, we headed to the dressing room. Mackenzie was so excited she could not stop giggling. After she tried each one on, we decided if they went in the no or maybe pile. How well they flowed when she twirled around was high on Mackenzie's list of criteria. And if they were itchy, they were definite no's.

At the end of trying on round one, we had narrowed the choices down to about five. So she tried all the maybes on again and made her final decision. She was so proud of her selection that she carried it to the cash register and wanted to swipe the credit card herself. The smile on her face was worth a million dollars.

Then of course, like good shoppers we had to shop for new shoes :) We talked about how she could not wear the outfit until Christmas. I guess she was looking for a way around that because last night she said, "Since I can't wear my new dress outside until Christmas, can I sleep in it tonight?" I said no, but I said it with a smile. What a fun day! Daughters are a gift from God.

No comments: